Monday, January 28, 2013

DIY Burlap Earring Hanger

This weekend Scott and the boys went on a camping trip in Arkansas. They were supposed to be gone Friday and Saturday night, however, their trip was cut short due to inclement weather. Friday night, my friend Brittany stayed with me so we could catch up and shop, shop, shop. We went to Marion, LA to a little flea market that we have been dying to visit. A Little Bit of Everything, is just that. She literally has a little bit of everything. Britt and I both bought something there and then we were off to Paul Micheal's, Dirt Cheap, Hobby Lobby and Peking. It was a great night. Saturday we woke up early, got dressed and drove to Ruston, LA. We went to another little shop that we had been wanting to visit. Brittany found a cute little bench that she plans to recover and paint from Callie's Corner and we both found a few little things from Rolling Hills. Afterwards we ate at Ryan's because they have fabulous rolls and then we headed back to West Monroe, LA. We went to Frog's Flea Market and Sam's. When we were finished, Britt went home to her husband and I went home to an empty house. I decided that I would be productive and replace the fabric on our kitchen chairs. They are currently this hideous faux burlap. I decided to recover them with real burlap and the end result is a huge improvement. Now I am thinking that I want to paint the chairs as well, but I guess I will save that for another day.

I have been wanting to make a jewelry hanger for my dangle earrings. I have a lot of jewelry that I never wear because it stays put up. I have had the stuff to make it for months now, and I finally decided that this would be the weekend I would make it. It would be nice and quiet in the house and I would need something to keep my mind off of the fact that I was alone! I hate to admit it, but I am terrified to stay in our house alone. Luck for me, Scott and the boys had to cut their trip short. I hated it for them but I enjoyed the company and the family time we were able to have due to the fact that their trip was shorter than planned.

Here are a few pictures of my earring hanger. Please excuse the quality of the pictures. I used my phone to take them. I need to stop being so lazy about taking pictures! The convenience of my camera phone has me spoiled.






I am not finished hanging all of my earrings, however, I am loving this! Now I can see everything that I have to choose from and I do not forget about the cute little black flowers, or the different variations of pearls. I love having my options in front of me, instead of in a jewelry box in my closet. Next I want to create something for my necklaces and bracelets. I do not have tons of costume jewelry, so I am sure I can come up with something inexpensive. However, this makes me want to buy more and more jewelry!

Steps I took to create my hanger.
  1.  I bought a frame from the local Goodwill store and removed the back and glass.
  2. I measured my burlap to fit the outside of the frame.
  3. I took a heavy duty stapler and worked my way around the burlap, stapling as I went. I learned that it was easier to staple the top first and then move from side to side as I moved down the frame. It ensured that my burlap was tight. I didn't want it to droop. 
  4. I cut away all of the excess burlap and hung my frame on the wall. My frame had a hanger already installed on the back. If yours does not, you could attach one or hang your hanger with pretty ribbon. 
I thought long and hard about painting my burlap, stenciling something on my burlap or attaching a pretty burlap bow or flower. I decided not to do that until I had all of my jewelry hanging up there. I didn't want to take away and space that could be used for jewelry. However, from the look of things, I will probably have a little room to add a little something to spice things up a bit. 

It was a fun little project that I am very happy with. I will post pictures of the entire wall when I figure out what I want to do for my necklaces and bracelets. I'm thinking a towel rod and random hooks? We will see! I am determined to finish this before the weekend arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment