Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Kitchen Redo

I have finally decided to get busy on our kitchen. I am tired of looking at it wanting to do something different and not touching it. It took me awhile to figure out exactly what I wanted to do and honestly, I am not sure that what we are currently doing is exactly what I want to do. However, anything is a huge improvement and will buy me more time until we can completely remodel the kitchen. I am talking, demolish the current kitchen and start over. We have a large space to work with, but it will probably be another 5-7 years before that can even happen. Therefore, I want something done for the time being.

I have done a lot of research on staining cabinets w/out having to strip them of their current stain and sealant. I chose a darker shade of Minwax Polystain. I think that the color we chose on top of the color we currently have will give us a nice rich color.

Scott and I started the staining process last night. The Minwax product that we are using allows us to stain and seal in one step and you do not have to strip the current stain and seal from your cabinets as long as they were originally sealed with poly. Luckily, ours were sealed with poly. I was jumping for joy after our test strip dried with no issues. The first coat took about an hour to apply and did not change the color of the cabinets drastically. it made the color a little darker and richer. We plan to apply at least two more coats, if not more, to achieve a darker, richer color. Our fingers are crossed.

Here is a picture of our cabinets after coat number one. I will post more as we do more. As soon as we are finished with the cabinets (I plan on finishing them tonight), I plan on repainting the counter tops. I am very nervous about that! I hate the faux wood look and I cannot wait to change it. Honestly, anything will be an improvement!


No comments:

Post a Comment